Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Chinese New Year, authentic Chinese style

Sunday was arguably the most important day of the year for Chinese people - Chinese New Year's Eve. At about 4 in the afternoon my entire baba's family came over. He cooked a huge meal and everyone ate ungodly amounts of utterly delicious Chinese food. At about 8 I went outside our apartment building with my sister, baba, two cousins, and an uncle to light fireworks. The Chinese New year is interesting in that it is like Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July mashed together into one enormous holiday. There is gift giving (not quite as much as Christmas), excessive food consumption, and an insane amount of firework lightage-offage (definitely not a word). So... we headed outside, lit off our fireworks, and then went back inside to watch the CCTV New Years show that broadcasts throughout China. My sister mentioned that at midnight the sky would light up with more fireworks than I had ever seen before in my life, but I truly did not comprehend the enormity of what she tried to convey until I saw it myself. At about 11 pm my dad's family left, and we began cleaning up and getting ready to go to my maternal grandparent's house for the rest of the night (apparently no one sleeps on New Year's Eve/ New Year's morning). At 11:50 we piled in the car, and raced down the fourth ring road towards my grandma's house. Sure enough, at midnight, the sky exploded. It literally cannot be described with words. Front, back, left, right - every possible place you could look had fireworks exploding in every color imaginable. It was AMAZING. And what's even more - the government had nothing to do with it. Every firework in the sky was lit off by private families. My sister says every year the same phenomenon happens. I have to say, I think this is something that every person should see before they die, because it is truly mind blowing. And for some reason it made my sister and I giddy and happy. So anyway, we got to my mom's parents house and had the second huge feast of the night, then the adults started playing a classic Chinese game called Majiang. It is a fun game, but moves at an uncomfortably quick pace and forces your brain to use math skills incessantly. At about 3 AM, I conked out on my grandparent's bed. My mom, aunt, uncle, and grandpa continued to play. I woke up at 7 to the sound of the adults still playing Majiang (they played continuously for 6 hours, not kidding). My family has a tradition of going to the Lama temple (a huge Buddhist temple in Beijing) every New Year's morning, so at about 7:15 we stumbled sleep-deprived into the car and went to the temple. After walking through a hutong for 40 minutes and waiting in multiple obnoxiously large crowds of people, we got into the temple, made our wishes, bowed three times to the Buddha, witnessed a pick-pocket being taken out by the police, and left. From what I hear, Chinese belief is that if you make a wish at the Lama temple on New Year's morning, It will really come true. We'll see. At noon that day, I finally got to climb into bed and promptly conked out until 6pm. And that was my New Year's Day:)

I'll write more in 3 weeks. Until then, toodles. 


6 comments:

Mama said...

Whoa! That does sound like a fantastic celebration. I'm impressed that everyone stays up all night playing and eating - people older than me : ) Even when we get together with the van Loons for New Year's Eve now, we all comment about how ready for bed we are by 12:30 and what an accomplishment it is for us to stay up that late - that is, we parents feel that way. So your Chinese grandparents definitely have more stamina than I think of older people having! Did you get to play the game too or did you just watch? And to think of playing a fast math game for fun - haha! I definitely need to do something along those lines!

I'm glad you got to go to the Buddhist temple and make your three wishes with your family for the New Year. A prayer or two on the side might be a nice idea too, as a follow-up. Make that a prayer on a regular basis and not just a "I want this and this and this" kind of prayer : )

I'll be thinking about you every day on your trip and thinking good thoughts that your physical stamina holds up to the challenges of being out in the wild and trekking all over the place. I really think you can do it and get some muscle along the way!

Take care of yourself! XO

I wondered if your camera would take any pictures of the firework-lit sky or if you tried to get some shots of it. I will have to use my imagination to picture it otherwise.

Have a great three week trip in Yunnan province! It will be a feast for the eyes and incredible in a totally different way than being in big cities.

Unknown said...

What a great story, El! Creating word pictures is a gift so you can justifiably consider writing as another one of your major talents. You're chalking up quite a resume' for a woman your age. Go girl, GO! Chinese New Year sounds wonderful.I heard Tony Kushner speak at Pen Pals Lecture Series today. He's a gifted Playwrite (sp?) and a rapid fire speaker with a great descriptive vocabulary. I read his "Angels in America" dealing with AIDS in the mid 1990s...serious stuff. Do any of your Chinese friends talk about American politics? Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures. Sweet Dreams...Grammar

Mama said...

Oh Mom! I'm so tickled you got another registered name so you can blog Elle! She has left for three weeks in Yunnan province. Left on 1-31-09 our date and will be with no computer or phone until she gets back. I don't have an exact date for her return but am thinking she'll email me or blog. She'll be close to Viet Nam and Myanmar and out in the beautiful mountains in totally different surroundings than all the cities she's seen so far.

She does paint a picture! Maybe we'll have to do a family trip to visit her sometime when she's over there for another big chunk of time. Of course, we'll also have to win the lottery to afford the plane ticket, huh?! Although, from everything I've heard, Hong Kong is a different world than Beijing and that's where she'll be after May. I'm up for seeing Hong Kong too and bet you'd second that!

I'm off to Wormley's for soup lunch tomorrow, so better get to my homework tonight : )

Ming said...

Elle. It has been over three weeks and I am awaiting your next exciting post!

Anonymous said...

so umm... i feel like i have not talked to you in forever and i miss u sooo much! have u decided what you are going to do for a job this summer?

Anonymous said...

ELLE!! I feel like I have not talked to you in forever and miss you tons! How are you? Have you figured out what you are going to do this summer for a job?

love ya,
jen