Saturday, December 13, 2008

Migrant School





To follow up on my last blog, my speech went well (even though I was a little nervous) and both of my Chinese teachers were happy, which was nice. On wednesday, A few classmates and I went to a migrant school (a school for the children of migrant workers) on the outskirts of Beijing. The migrant school is extremely poor and classes usually have over 40 students in them. It was my second time going, and both times I have gone, I have "taught" first grade. I put taught in quotations because I'm nearly positive the first graders absorb absolutely nothing of what we teach them, but they sure do enjoy having foreign teachers. Our kids happen to be the most raucous and worst-behaved in the school, but the experience is enjoyable nonetheless. Basically what we do for 40 minutes is stand at the blackboard and scream english words (and their Chinese translations) such as train, car, plane, friend, home, etc. at the top of our lungs (as to be heard over the extremely loud students). If we're lucky, the students will repeat the words after us, but most of the time, they simply ignore us and keep on talking to their fellow classmates. Because none of their Chinese teachers are in the room when we teach them, they feel a bit freer to do what they please, which makes our job a little harder. In the upcoming weeks we are planning to try to get the students to be a little more focused :) When class is over, they all yell "下课!!!" ("class is over!!!") and run out of the room like bats out of hell. A few stuck around to give me pictures they had drawn during class, and many of them asked if we would play with them in the recess yard. They get extremely excited to have their 外国的老师 (foreign teachers) run around with them and dance like fools. 

Although teaching them is utter chaos 95% of the time, it is one of my favorite things to do, and brightens my wednesdays immensely. Also, I saw snow in China for the first time on our way to the school. There were flurries! Which is exciting for Beijing since the weather can't seem to get below freezing here. It reminded me of Christmas and lovely Iowa winters. 

苏娥俐

7 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Wow, sounds like what I do for a living...

Mama said...

Oh my gosh, Ms. Stewart's comment made me laugh out loud! And after feeling horrible for several days now, that was a good feeling!

This is my best motherly and teacherly advise for trying to bring some semblance of calmness to a chaotic class. Build on your relationship/friendship with the ones that draw you pictures and like to run around with you. Meaning, thank them profusely for giving you their token of their affection - their artwork. Tell them your grandpa is an artist - it may not seem like much, but they have grandpas and will relate to the fact you have one too and he likes to draw! Develop eye contact with them in class and smile when they are doing what they are supposed to do, so they are a tad motivated to look at you and respond to you better than the other 95% of the class. Tell them how much it means to you to have their help in class by doing their good work. Mention that they will make a good leader someday because they pay attention, do their school work, and set a lovely example for others with their good conduct/behavior. Tell them you know they can do great work - it is called the power of positive thinking and plants the seed in their forming brain that they have the ability to do wonderful things!

Try to find a copy of "Big Bird in China" to show them one of the many joys of speaking 2 languages and also to give them something to relate to with you and China.

Tell them stories from your life when you were little - anything you remember from 1st grade, other than the fact that your class was a huge pain for Mrs. Morgenstern and had plenty of off-the-wall behavior too : ) Is it feasible to resort to downright Pavlovian practices, like rewards for good conduct - little stickers or something along that line? Also ask them stories about their life when you are out on the playground - or ask if they have a favorite food, animal, book, something to get them to talk in a non-screaming voice. I realize that would have to happen on the playground, where maybe you could interject some English words for running, jumping, laughing, holding hands, smiling, etc.

I could go on and on : ) but I am super happy that you are enjoying them and giving them the opportunity to learn from your inspiring self!

Maybe we can do a blog from the both of us when I've over visiting : )

I'm off to look for gifts for your family and shovel that beautiful ice and snow from our driveway and sidewalk!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

What, like you and your mom aren't doing a blog together now??? I have told her she should start her own, she always has much to say!

潘娜 said...

Elle I would so publish this if I worked for the Boston Globe... bitches... hahahh

Linda Sue Oleson-King said...

Hi Girls,
Of course I mean both Elle and Mara! I am thinking of you during this ice storm today, but wanted to share two tidbits of info! One, Mara, you statue that your Dad did of you and the foal is back in the little tiny park in Newton. Also, I ate lunch at Park Centre with my Mom on Christmas Day and Hank Brock joined us. She sends you both her best. Hope the trip is super fantastic and you are having lots of adventures. I am waiting for your next blog!

Mama said...

Hi Linda!

I'm sorry I didn't check Elle's blog while I was visiting her! I'm tickled to know that Hank joined you on Christmas day! I think the world of her and have incredibly fond memories of knitting with her and a great group of women at the Yarn Barn in Newton when Glennis Lureman owned that shop! Do you remember it or did you ever know it? We would knit and tell stories and laugh and help each other solve their knitting dilemas. It was women in a group doing something they loved and at their best in the social realm : )

I'm glad I could miss at least one storm while I was gone - ha!

Looking forward to lunch this week and more catching up!

Mama said...

I just wondered if you'd gotten to the school with your first graders since you'd been back from your semester break. I hope you did. I bet the little ones look forward to the change in routine that your arrival affords them - even if it is near chaos : ) They obviously enjoy the novelty of their younger, foreign teachers! I think the more you do it the more likely you are to make a difference to them. Consistency - like showing up regularly is a biggie with children of all ages.

Give them a hug! The universal language appreciated by all.