Tuesday, October 7, 2008

MEATY MEATY MEAT

So... I just ate meat. On accident. 

Sometimes my dad makes these little loaves of bread stuffed with vegetables inside, so tonight at dinner I took one thinking I knew exactly what it was.

I took a bite, and although it tasted a little different than usual I thought nothing of it. The stuffing looked like it always had... just harmless green vegetables.

A few bites later, I reached the conclusion that my seemingly innocent 包字 (bao zi) definitely had a new, unknown ingredient in it. I looked down to examine it more carefully, and saw two black eyes staring back at me. Yup. Two black eyes. Then two more, and two more and two more. Turns out, there were tons of little mini shrimp things in the bao zi. They were colorless and transparent, which explains why I didn't see them the first time.  

I reacted surprisingly well. I didn't choke, gasp, or scream. I just set the bao zi down, and ate other things. My appetite wasn't even lost. I actually almost laughed, because I knew this would happen sooner or later, and I have to admit it's hilarious. 

Anyway, I guess that was the most eventful thing that happened today. Each day brings a new surprise... haha. I'm going to go do homework now...

Toodles,

苏娥利


5 comments:

Mama said...

Oh my gosh, you've made me laugh too! Good for you for not gagging, choking, gasping, or screaming! Indeed, you were a wonderful sport about this surprising discovery and handled it beautifully! It makes me smile that your host dad didn't happen to mention to you that it was more than veggies. Ah well, you got a little extra protein. Great Grandma Peck used to say you had to eat a pound or a peck of dirt before you died. I'm not exactly sure what this meant except that everything we ate might not be totally "clean." Yours was clean and cooked at least : )

I went with some co-workers to Mars Cafe after work tonight and tried for the first time their Dreamsicle float. It is orange natural soda and vanilla ice cream, and I think you would really like it. It was so warm today that it hit the spot. Something to look forward to upon your return!

I could always bring Goldfish crackers with me in December. Did your sister try any or your mom? I just wondered what they'd think about them.

Ming said...

Elle, just because I love to correct you, I'm going to do so. You used the wrong "zi" in your post. 字 means character, unlike 子 which has several meanings and should be the correct one to use when saying baozi. Therefore your characters should look like:

包子

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I would choke and/or gasp if black eyes were staring at me from my food, and I'm not a vegetarian!

Unknown said...

I have to apologize; it's taken me some time to open your blog, and I have to say I'm highly impressed. What experiences and especially the little things like this meal adventure are so fun loving. Being a vegetarian for many years, I can relate even further to the heightened impact at seeing eyes staring back at you.

I know this issue had been a source of conversation and concern for some time for you and I'm so impressed by the way you handled it. I don't know if I could have been so composed.

I look forward to reading your future pieces!!

Beezu said...

HEY ELLE!!!!!!!!!!
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGLOLOLOLOLOLOROFLMAOOMGOMG!!!!!!
anyhoo, moms been bitchin at me to email you or sumfin so here i am takin time outta my busy schedule to read your stories and comment. You are welcome. Congrats on eatin meat, i know its delicious. TTYL!