Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Yunnan Part 2






This will be a short post since I have overwhelming amounts of homework. After we left the village in the last post, we headed to quite a few other really small towns and villages. There was a four day period where nearly all we did was hike 5-7 hours per day up and down terraced rice fields (i'll include a picture), and that was mildly unpleasant because of the heat (in the 80s everyday). On one of our last days of hiking we ended up at a place overlooking nothing but terraced fields (which, because it is winter, are currently flooded with water) and mountains. It may have been the best view I have ever seen, but unfortunately that happened to be the one day I left my camera on the bus. Stupid me. 

I forgot to mention that right leaving Kunming we explored a small town where I saw two women with their feet bound. In 9th grade World Civilizations I was taught that there was no one alive today with bound feet, so I asked my Chinese history teacher about it, and she said that although foot binding was banned in the early 1900s, the practice still went on until Mao laid the smack-down on it in the early 1950s. I found that very interesting and almost didn't believe that I was looking at bound feet at first. 

Skipping ahead... in the beginning of our last week in Yunnan we rafted down the Mekong River, which made my mother very nervous even though I assured her we were A. Not in Vietnam and B. Not anywhere near the Mekong Delta and C. Not living during the time of the Vietnam War. The rafting was fun, and we got to have "water wars" with the other boats. The sun was shining, a few clouds in the sky, and the temperature was in the low 80s. A perfect day.
We got out of the river at a small village and spent the night. That night I got up in front of the whole village and told a joke in Chinese, which was pretty nerve racking. But I survived. We stayed three more nights in villages (you can only imagine how disgustingly dirty we all were, since we didn't shower for 4 days), and then returned to the capital of the southern most prefecture in Yunnan, Xishuangbanna. The capital's name is Jinghong. It was a sizable town (big enough to have an airport, but not big enough to have a Mcdonalds), and we stayed there during the next five nights. During the daytime, we went to school with Chinese students at the Jinghong Number 1 Highschool. This was by far the my experience on the trip, but i'll have to save that for my next post. Until then... bye bye. 

苏娥俐

p.s. 1st pic: a chinese teacher and me writing my joke. boys in the background playing basketball with the locals (who all love basketball). 
2nd pic: rafting on the Mekong
3rd pic: terraced rice fields through fog
4th pic: chilling with the local children
5th: a gramma with bound feet: proof that 9th grade world civ has failed me. 

6 comments:

Grammar said...

Hi Sweetie!

I'm smiling now to hear you recount the chill it gave me to think of you on the Mekong River : ) Seriously, even though I know we're not living in Viet Nam war times, some music, geographical locations, who knows what-all brings back memories that still cause me a chill. The river looks lovely! How fun to be in the water when it is hot!

I wonder how old that grandma with the bound feet was? You'll have to tell someone, maybe Mr. Damon, at Central that you have the real story on that detail! It just goes to show you that you have to read everything with a grain of salt - text books right along with everything else. I can't remember who coined the quote, "Inquiring minds want to know." But it seems appropriate, huh?

What was your joke? Did they laugh or smile?

Thanks for sharing your photos and words! It makes my day to see a new blog! I've come down with a horrendous cold and am grateful tomorrow's Friday!

Wishing strength for the school work ahead and some time for fun too : )

Mama Bear & Grammar

Linda Sue Oleson-King said...

Hi Elle,
What an amazing trip you are having. At least Claire and I did not have to hike for hours and hours, more like sit on hard bus and train benches in India. I am so impressed how focused you stay on your studies. We are starting to feel spring coming so perhaps those tulips are in our future!
Stay well!
Linda

Tom Swartwood said...

Hi Ellie:
What a great adventure; your posts are terrific. We are getting teased by Mother Nature again; in the 70s today and tomorrow. I don't trust her though. Atti, Jordan Garvey and I are driving west to Steamboat after Atti returns from the BAND TRIP to Florida (we are giving him one day to recover and do some homework that mysteriously fell thru the cracks).
What is the sense and attitude of the people you encoutner about the state of the world markets and the economy? The stock markets are teasing us as well,and some officials are indicating that they see a light at the end of the tunnel (hope it is not the proverbial oncoming train) and interestingly, the Chinese finance minister chided the US about it s failure to keep things on an even keel. Hmmm, that's some odd finger pointing.
Oh, Atti has applied for the EIL program this summer; I know you are supposed to return, but I heard also that you may extend your stay. If so, is there any way you two could rendez-volus?
Anyway, all's well here. Hope you are well.
Regards,
Tom Swartwood

Mama said...

Hi Tom!

I thought I'd let you know that Elle thinks Atti's China program starts in July or later in June, and her school year is over at the end of May. Then she's flying to Hong Kong to spend two weeks with her dad and Mitch and then coming home for her good job for the rest of the summer. She thought it would be great if their time overlapped but was thinking there'd be that whole month of June when neither of them would be in Beijing. I'm excited for Atti that he's going to give this amazing country a visit with the other program. I could easily go back - if I had Elle as my guide and interpreter. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it at all on my own and not speaking Mandarin : ) It truly is a different world but one I think it would benefit Americans to get to know in a less judgmental way than we're typically known for : ) My hat is off to our adventuresome children!

Ming said...

Thanks for the update Mrs. Elle's Mom! So she'll be back this summer ready to play me in tennis =D

Mama said...

You're very welcome, Ming!

You'll have to come visit Elle this summer. She was going back and forth and back and forth about trying to go to international school in Hong Kong and living with her dad, who's been transferred there for a year with his company. The problem is, he doesn't know if he'll be there for 1 or 2 or 3 years, and if they call him back next Feb. 1, Elle wouldn't have anyplace to live for the last semester of her senior year. Also, international school is very expensive. So I'm glad she'll be here for her last year before college but also feel a little sad for her because she really loves China. I know another year of immersion in the language and culture would have suited her well. Although, Cantonese is spoken in Hong Kong; and per Elle, Hong Kong is not like the rest of China at all. Still, she went there for a brief visit with her dad and loved it too.

She is always swamped with school work and trying to be extra diligent these last two months so she can go out in a blaze of glory : )

Hope you are doing well too!

Mara (Elle's Mama)